UHungry? Vegetarian Breakfast Sandwich
Vegetarian? Cutting back on your meat intake or just looking to shake things up? Our recipe for a Mushroom Vegetarian Sandwich is just what you needed!
Portobello Mushroom Bacon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large Portobello mushroom – washed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 ounces liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2½ tsps baking powder
- 2 Tbsps white sugar
- ·1 egg
- ¾ cups milk (Almond or Coconut milk works!)½ tsp vanilla extra
- 2 tsps butter
- Cooked eggs (either scrambled or in omelet form)
- Maple syrup
For Portobello Mushroom Bacon
1. Rinse your Portobello mushrooms and pat dry until a majority of water is removed.
2. In a large bowl, add the liquid smoke, maple syrup, salt, and pepper and mix well and let sit aside.
3. Cut the mushrooms into thin strips (no more than a 1/4 of an inch thick) and marinate both sides in the liquid mixture. At least 15 minutes per side (using a fork to flip them over).
4. Heat the oil in a medium skillet and cook the mushrooms for 3 minutes, flipping and cooking for 3 more minutes on the opposite side. Keep an eye out of them turning brown and the edges crisping up; this means that they are good to go!
For Pancake Buns & Sandwich
Whisk together the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl. Add the egg, milk and vanilla and whisk together until the batter is almost lump free and smooth.
Melt the butter in a non-stick skillet, over medium high heat and use a paper towel to wipe the butter off slightly to create a thin coat of butter to ensure that your pancakes are golden brown.
Place 2 Tablespoons of batter into the skillet and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Then flip and cook the other side until golden (somewhere between 1 ½ to 2 minutes). Repeat with remaining batter.
Cut off any uneven edges from pancakes and add egg, then a few slices of Portobello mushrooms, and spoon maple syrup on top pancake bun. Add top bun like a sandwich and repeat assembly until all sandwiches are made.
Your Portobello Mushroom Bacon Vegetarian Sandwich is ready.